After Vice: Content(edness)

/
0 Comments

Marketing Intelligence

Credit: Mark Smiciklas
http://www.flickr.com/photos/intersectionconsulting/
CC BY-SA 2.0
I mentioned in my post yesterday that I am the owner of two iPad keyboards. One is the iPad Keyboard Dock distributed by Apple. Some months later I bought the Padacs iPad keyboard because one cannot type with the iPad while in the landscape position (which I prefer to the portrait position) when using the iPad Keyboard Dock. When I bought the Padacs keyboard it was $100, but now it's $80. Recently, I saw this new iPad keyboard by Zagg which is clearly superior to the one I currently use (the Padacs keyboard). (There's really no reason for me to outline the things I dislike about the Padacs keyboard.)

In addition to my attempt at a more disciplined life, I've always been trying to practice to contentedness. As I write this, there is absolutely nothing that I need to buy. I don't need another iPad keyboard. I don't need another laptop (Gretchen typically uses the laptop; I use the iPad). I don't need to build a wall between my kitchen and dining room (but I really want to because, especially in the summer, the heat from the kitchen is annoying, to say the least). I am going to buy some running to shoes, but that's because the two pair of shoes I currently own simply won't work in that capacity.

OK, my big complaint about the Padacs keyboard: the quotation key is located beneath period key, not to the right of the semi-colon key. I make so many errors that I spend more type editing than I do writing blogposts. But that's it.

We live in a world where a man can own two iPad keyboards and think he needs a third. But I don't want to be that way. Contentedness saves you from the feeling that you don't have enough, that you have to have more, that you deserve to have something that you don't. I want to be content because it is liberation from a world that says I'm nothing but what I buy.

This is another thing, like discipline, that I used to be good at when I was younger but have in recent years bought into the myth of malcontent. I want to be that way again: content.


You may also like

No comments: