Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow, 1 of 2

/
0 Comments
church
Credit: Vik Nanda
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viknanda/
CC BY-SA 2.0
I think I've reached some cathartic, metacritical state of being in regard to church. I'm not at peace, but I am accepting reality. I am in process of reaching catharsis. Unfortunately, there's no verb to describe this. "Cartharticing" sounds like something for which a soldier would be court marshalled. As I recently posted, I've had a little formal training in theology and a lot of informal training in theology. Over the last few years, I've really immersed myself in the literature of theology and church, and I have just spent a lot of time thinking about church, asking questions. Why is it the way it is? What are the boundaries of church? What is it that God wants from church?

When I say I've reached a metacritical state, (I think) I mean I am able--for the most part--to hold a sense of objectivity in my critique. Perhaps that is post-critical. I think to think of metacritical as including post-critical, though. I've reached a point where I am capable and comfortable critiquing the critical methods of church(es), whether pre-critical, critical, or post-critical.

Blah, blah, blah. I know.

All of that to say, I'm no expert and would never say such a thing. I would, however, say that it all amounts to nothing. There is no difference. Church to church, there is no difference. Church doesn't change. There is always some new "movement" of Christianity out there operating under the unspoken taglines "Not your grandfather's church" or "We're a church, but not that kind of church" but these type of new speak slogans fool only those who create them (and surely they themselves are aware of the irony).

Church is church. Don't expect to go to a different church and for it to be any different than the church you just left. Ultimately, church is church. Sometimes, the words are different, but church is church.


You may also like

No comments: