No Coffee Friday

/
0 Comments
roasted: remnant coffee beans - _MG_0371
Credit: Sean Dreilinger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seandreilinger/
CC BY-SA 2.0
I have no coffee. I need coffee. I went to the store late last night to grab a few things and I didn't remember that I'd used the last of the coffee yesterday morning. Now, I'm trying to get by on a Diet Coke and it's just not working.

Last night was long.


The Queen Bee had a fever last night and went to bed early. She was asleep by 6:45. By 9:45, she'd awoke. Gretchen said that she probably thought she was just down for a nap, not for the night, and in the words of one John Dorian....

The Queen Bee woke up more times than I remember, each time with a new demand: I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, can I get up yet? At one point, she just started coughing really loudly, then making a hacking sound as if she was vomiting.

At that point, my temper flared.

I walked quickly into her room, sat down on her bed, and with our noses very nearly touching, I said in a stern voice, "You need to stop this right now. You cannot keep other people up at night; it's not fair to do that. You lay down in your bed and be quiet!" I didn't yell (I hate yelling), but I was very stern. Also, I think I scared her because I was in her room and in her face so quickly. She cried. Of course, I felt bad. I was also really tired, and I knew there wouldn't be any more problems. I stayed in her room for about five minutes because I didn't want to leave if she was scared (I want her to feel safe in her room). After I was content that she was fine, I went back to bed and don't remember any further problems. That was 4:30 or 5:00.

But, my sleep was really disjointed. I'm really tired this morning. And, I did feel bad about making her cry, about scaring her. It's hard to sleep too terribly well when you feel like you've scared or hurt your daughter.

Around 8:00 this morning, she ran into my room and jumped into my bed, laid her head on my chest and said, "It's time to wake up, daddy." We talked some about last night and I told her that I loved how forgiving she is, that I wanted to be more like her. I'm not sure what she thought about that.

I still need coffee.


You may also like

No comments: