OU Football or OU Yawnball?

/
0 Comments
I really enjoy football and, like so many Oklahomans, I've long held a special affinity for cheering on the Oklahoma Sooners. I've only ever attended one football game; it was some years ago. The year of OU's most recent national championship. It was a really exciting time for me, though. The atmosphere of the stadium was exciting and full of anticipation for great things. To sit in Memorial Stadium was really surreal because I'd only ever seen on television (and I haven't seen it since except on television). It was just fun to see the football team do well, to expect for them to do well. Though OU's football program doesn't have the aura of Notre Dame's football program, it is most certainly a program with a rich tradition and it's fun to cheer for the team because, in a way, you feel like a part of the tradition.

At least, it used to feel that way. I want OU to do well in football, but I just don't find myself feeling any excitement about the team. It's not, as some have speculated, that there isn't anything to be excited about. The team has won all their games. They haven't played perfectly. Three of four games were in question until the very end, but I like close games. They have some good players. I just don't care about any of that. I was bored during yesterday's rivalry game against Texas. I just didn't care if OU won or lost. I like football. I liked watching the game, but I felt no emotional investment in it whatsoever. When the game was over it was just "Oh, that was nice."

In some ways, I think it's reactionary. I think I'm just a little bit repulsed by how invested people around here are in a college football team. Maybe I'm repulsed because I used to be, at least a little bit, like that. I'm glad that it's meaningful for people. I'm glad that it's fun, I just don't get the flags flying from car windows and sports radio stuff. Why do people call in to sports radio? Do they really think they have a qualified opinion?


You may also like

No comments: