A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac, 2 of 3

/
0 Comments
I think there is a lot about the countercultural movement of the 60s and 70s that we can justifiably criticize. I think there are also plenty of things about the counterculture that are commendable. I really don't know enough about to write anything substantial. I don't simply mean Hippies, but the whole counterculture movement: feminism, civil rights, anti-war. Though some things, such as feminism (specifically, second wave), had (and continues to keep) critics, they nevertheless revealed to the public at large some very real issues within our society. Perhaps the anti-war movement was an extreme, but it brought to light real issues within our government and our military. At least, it aided to this end.

I remember my high school history text book said that most of the countercultural movement was composed of middle class white college students. When the movement fell apart, they just started attending their classes again. I think all high school text books are suspect, but I haven't encountered anything since then that'd refute this statement.

Stephen King, one of my favorite authors and a member of the 1960s generation of Baby Boomers, has expressed disappointment in what became of his generation (See Hearts in Atlantis, On Writing). In On Writing King states, "I don't want to speak too desparagingly of my generation (actually, I do. We had a chance to change the world and opted for the Home Shopping Network instead)...." Part of me thinks this statement just epitomizes the (stereotyped?) bloated since of self-worth of the Baby Boomers. However, he may be right.

They could have kept putting Deadhead stickers on VW vans, but they didn't. There is a juxtaposition of values here--Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac--that is more than ironic. It's incongruent. REO Speedwagon on a Cadillac? Sure. Fleetwood Mac on a Cadillac? How could you not. But, it turns out, the revolution could be bought out.


You may also like

No comments: