Top 5 Friday: Beatles Songs

/
0 Comments

Early this week, Rolling Stone published their list of the top ten Beatles songs ever. The Beatles are a pretty big part of our lives. The first songs Gretchen and I ever sang to our daughter were by the Beatles. In fact, the Queen Bee's bedroom is Yellow Submarine-themed. Making a list of the top Beatles songs is a dangerous endeavor, but Rolling Stone did it (and I think their list is pretty good), so why can't I? There are so many ways to divide the Beatles music in a list, but this list is just my favorite songs. It's not necessarily the songs that I think are the most ambitious or the most influential, just my favorites.

5. A Day in the Life--This song was Rolling Stone's number one Beatles' song. I really wrestled with what song would be number five on my list. I think it's the hardest to choose because five is the cut off point. I almost put Hey Jude here, but I went with A Day in the Life because I don't think there is any song like it. The sounds are cornucopia for the ears.

4. Something--Frank Sinatra famously called this George Harrison song the best love song Lennon and McCartney ever wrote. John Lennon said it was the best song on the Abbey Road album. This one is deeply sentimental to me. When we were going through security last December in Addis Ababa, bringing the Queen Been home, she had a massive melt down that would last most of the next 32 hours (until we landed in Houston). I walked back and forth along the loading area of the gate singing this song in her ear, trying to calm her down. I walked up and down the aisles of the airplane singing this song to her. She was so scared, I don't think it helped much, but it was the best move in my fatherhood-arsenal...still is.

3. Julia--John Lennon wrote this song for his mother (also for Yoko, but who cares?). It's haunting and poignant. Lennon was always great at conjuring images in his songs (e.g., I am the Walrus, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds) and here he castes a spell of longing and love while capturing his emotional inadequacy.

2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)--I think this is John Lennon's strongest vocal performance on an album. The sitar adds a subtle esoteric feel that makes the song feel like it's from some place else, no matter where you're from. I suppose that I could easily interchange this song with my number three song, but today, Norwegian Wood is number two.

1. Baby, You're a Rich Man--Magical Mystery Tour is an under appreciated album (if there is such a thing for a Beatles album). Sandwiched between Sgt. Pepper's and The White Album (among U.S. releases, at least), I think it just gets overlooked, even though many of the songs on the album are indeed iconic (All You Need is Love, Penny Lane, I am the Walrus, Strawberry Fields Forever). Among those great songs is this little gem that many people don't know about. It's a peppy, fun song with a great groove.

Honarable Mention: Hey Jude, The Word, I'm Looking Through You, Strawberry Fields Forever, All You Need is Love, Dig a Pony, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, Dear Prudence, I'm So Tired, Help!



You may also like

No comments: