Los Suns, but not Los Brothers

/
0 Comments

When I first moved to Vienna, and really during the few years as I prepared to move that city, I became increasingly concerned about the issues of human trafficking. Initially, Gretchen and I were making strides to become very involved in the fight against human trafficking that exists in Vienna, but along the way we became very weary and our participation in anti-human trafficking groups waned and eventually dissipated entirely. Vienna, situated nicely in the heart of Europe, is a hotbed for human trafficking. The amount of humans trafficked into Vienna as a final destination is not so terribly significant as, for example, Berlin or Los Angeles, but it is a main point of transition. Nonetheless, many people are trafficked into Vienna and forced to work as prostitutes or panhandlers. (The UN forum on Human Trafficking is held in Vienna, incidentally.)

It is a tremendous evil, an embarressing blight upon God's creation that we allow to exist because it is so easy to ignore. It is so easy to NOT be bothered with it. Even those of us who would chose to be bothered with it are left feeling helpless in the face of such evil. It's easy to be angry, even filled with rage at this evil, but difficult to know what to do about it other than go home and catch the latest episode of The Daily Show.

Amidst all the laws and debate surrounding immigration, undocumented workers, and the recent law passed in Arizona that has cause so much dissent (and support), it's easy to forget that the issue we're really facing is about people in need. My biggest concern about undocumented workers and/or illegal immigrants is that someone in the states, or perhaps a trafficker, will take advantage of them, of their labor, of their desire for a better life. I don't have the will to pay too much attention to the issues--I'm too weary about too many other things--but I feel like many Americans and most politicians are forgetting that all these laws, and even these debates, impact real people, many of whom are hurting and in need of mercy. They are in need of a gift--one that we in America can actually give. But, it is often hard to give. I know, believe me. The giving stings. I do believe that the current immigration policies, procedures, system--the little I understand of it--is more focused on keeping people out rather than helping them get in. And this, I believe, perpetuates the evil that is human trafficking. That makes me sad. We have so much to offer. We have so much to give. I know that those persons wanting to build walls and keep out Latinos have no better answers than I have. My answer is let them come. Let them work. Even, Let them take. I have so much. I need lessons in giving. I need lessons in humility. I need lessons in love. In love of others over self.

We are all a lost generation...and so am I.


You may also like

No comments: