Confession #1: Stranger than Nonfiction

/
2 Comments

I had originally made a personal goal for 2010 to read only fiction. I used to read a lot of fiction but in recent years most of my reading has been nonfiction, especially history, sociology and theology. I normally read quite a lot, but with being a new parent and still in the process of completing an international relocation, I've been very undisciplined with my reading.

Not only that, but I'm really struggling to stick to my "sola fictiō" commitment. I find the heavy theological stuff so engrossing that I'm really having withdrawal from it. By heavy, I mean N.T. Wright and Luke Timothy Johnson, not Augustine. I suspect a true theologian would find my "heavy" theological reading to be cruise ship material.

I've only completed two fiction books, Rabbit, Run by John Updike (You can read my own opinion of the book by clicking here.)and The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Both books were marvelous. Even though I've had Hemingway's To Have and Have Not listed on the "Reading" section of my blog, I've yet to start it. I am reading Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne, which is kind of a memoir. I'm really enjoying it and I recommend it to anyone who considers themselves a Christian. It isn't book of theological diarrhea; it's just a guy sharing a story of his attempt to make his faith matter in a world in which faith seems increasingly superfluous. Of course, since his books is being published, he's been fairly successful in his pursuit. He's a good writer and he has a good story. At least, I relate to what he writes: a faith--a god--that matters, that makes things right.

I believe in God. It's a real problem for me.


You may also like

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A co-worker informed me that I am messing with her mind by being both intelligent and a Christian. She doesn't know anyone else she would put in both categories, when she asked why there aren't more intelligent Christians, I said, "There are, but we usually travel in packs. We usually only talk to other smart Christians about our faith because we get tired of being misunderstood."

I read much more fiction than I want because I work at a book store, and I put two kids to sleep, so I read much less material in general than I used to. I have a few titles for you when I get a chance to mail them. I guess I'll wait until next year to send you a German book, _The truth of Fiction_, I keep wanting to wade into it but I never get the time, so a better German reader than I should get a crack at it.

Brian said...

I could probably use the German practice. The only thing I kept was a German Bible (Neues Leben Unterstetzung), and it's amongst the stuff we shipped. I'm a little surprised by how quickly it's fading from my brain but, the truth be told, I'm ok with it.

I really miss the fantastic worlds of fiction. That's what I loved as a kid: the escapism. But, I think my recent pursuit of theology has made the biblical narrative come alive in a similarly fantastic way, but it's not simply escapism (though I must concede that it is escapism to some extent). It's also a quest to reconcile...well, to reconcile many things.