Ignorance and Only the Cross

/
0 Comments

I've been praying and reflecting upon these few sentences from Paul's first letter to the Corinthians:

1
When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I
proclaimed to you the testimony about God.2For I resolved to know nothing while I was with
you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3I came to you in weakness and fear, and with
much trembling. 4My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words,
but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, 5so that your faith might not rest on men's
wisdom, but on God's power (1 Cor. 2:1-5, TNIV).

The last five or six years, I've pursued only knowledge, wisdom and education. I thought that if I was smart enough, if I knew enough theology, that I could convert people, fix the church, start a new church that didn't need repair, etc. I devoted an untold number of hours, days, weeks...months (seriously, folks) to the study of the Bible and the cultures in which it was written. I am no better than what I was six years ago. I like the knowledge, but I am no better.

What does it mean to know nothing other than Jesus and the crucifixion? This isn't a testimony that leads someone to definitive understanding of the cosmos. This is confusing. Jesus. Crucified. Ponder that. Then, we'll start a community of people who know nothing but these two things. We'll get together to ponder them.

I've been praying for ignorance. I've been pondering Jesus and the cross. I desire a testimony like Paul's that is based on worldly foolishness--the things God uses to topple the powers of this age in favor of the coming age.


You may also like

No comments: