Forest Stream

/
0 Comments

I like these things in Vienna


The Gypsy's Vienna--I am in the process of creating a Google Map of Vienna placemarking all the things I like (and maybe even some of the things I don't like). It is a work in progress and information will be added as the map is further developed.

Welt Café--One of my favorite cafes in Vienna. Everything is organic and fair trade, plus it's great food! I recommend either the Hirtenmaccheroni traditionell or the Indischer Risotto mit Nüssen.

Café Falk--A great cafe in Vienna's east side. A little off the beaten path, but it's worth the trip. It's a good Viennese experience; I probably ate here more than any other cafe during my time in Vienna. Of course, I lived not far from its location. I recommend the Truthhahnschnitzel.

Café Central--I only went here occasionally because it is a bit pricey, but if you want to see a traditional Viennese cafe, this is the place to go. The interior is beautiful and the food is tremendous. Try the Kalbfleish Gulasch and you will not be disappointed.

Jesuitenkirche--This is my favorite cathedral in Vienna. It is next to the Old University, not far from Stephensdom, in the city center. Don't be fooled by its exterior because the interior is the most beautiful in all of Vienna. This church is often overlooked by tourists even though it's in the heart of the city, which is a shame in some ways, but that also makes it more special to those who do visit it.

Minoritenkirche--My second favorite cathedral in Vienna. This is near Cafe Central. On occassion, I would meet someone at Cafe Central for breakfast and then I'd walk over to Minoritenkirche and sit for a while writing in my journal. It contains a mosaic replica of Leonardo da Vinci's painting The Last Supper made by Giacomo Raffaelli. This cathedral also seems to be overlooked by tourists--rarely have I been there when there were more than four other people--but is really worth your time. I really like the building's exterior.

Heeresgeschichtliches Museum--The military history museum is one of the best museums in Vienna. Even if you don't think you're interested in military history, you will find yourself fascinated with this museum. My favorite exhibit is contains the uniform worn by Erzherzog Franz Ferdinand, and the car in which he rode, when he and his wife were assassinated.

Wiener Riesenrad--One of the biggest attractions in Vienna. At 212 feet, it's not the tallest Ferris wheel in the world, but the view of Vienna from the Riesenrad is one-of-a-kind. I've been on it three times and loved it each time. Plus, it's next to Wiener Prater, one of the best parks in Vienna.

Donauturm--Offering another great view of the city, Donauturm stands 830 feet tall. It has two restaurants (an upscale and a less-expensive restaurant) and two observation decks (one indoors, the other outdoors). I really enjoyed visiting in the winter. Even though it was overcast and the vantage poor, it was still a nice place to enjoy a cup of coffee on a cold day. Also, Donauturm is in the middle of Donaupark, which is worth a visit in and of itself.

Wiener Zentralfriedhof--I've always enjoyed cemeteries, especially old ones, especially cemeteries interring famous people. Zentralfriedhof is the second largest in Europe by area and largest by number interred. In Europe, cemeteries often double as a park of sorts, so many people enjoy taking strolls through Zentralfriedhof and enjoying the solitude. Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert and Viktor Frankl are the most famous people interred there.


You may also like

No comments: